- The first scientific hand-held calculator is introduced to the public ($395).
- Volkswagen Beetle sales exceed those of the Ford Model-T.
- The first cellular phone call is made in New York.
- The Broadway Musicanl "Hair" is hot-hot-hot.
- The Magnavox Odyssey is released, beginning the dawn of the video game age.
- The last U.S. ground troops are withdrawn from Vietnam.
- Bobby Fischer defeats Boris Spassky in a chess match.
- Atari releases their arcade version of PONG, the first game to achieve commercial success.
- Richard Nixon and the Watergate scandal: Five White House operatives are arrested for burglarizing the offices of the Democratic National Committee.
- The Price Is Right debuts on CBS.
- Comedian George Carlin is arrested by Milwaukee for public obscenity, for reciting his "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television".
- My Dad bonks my Mom and sure enough... I was conceived. I don't remember much of this year since I was busy being all calm, cool, and comfortable in the womb. In case you are wondering, my parents WERE married, so (opposed to many views out there) I am NOT a bastard.
> 1972: CONCEPTION
IMPORTANT HAPPENINGS IN 1972: